Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lesson's I've Learned This Week - Skinny Tuesday

This past week, I have learned a few things.

1) The first thing I learned is that when you've lost over 50 pounds, it's time to buy new pants. The pants in this picture are my maternity capris from when I was pregnant with the twins.

1-12-10-small-1


I wore them this past weekend when we were hiking, and I had to pull them up every 10 seconds otherwise they would have been around my ankles. For some reason my stomach is so much flatter now than it was back then. Go figure!

I am not a big fan of capri pants anymore. They make my legs look shorter than they are and highlight my ankles, which incidentally, aren't my best feature. Back when I was pregnant, they really weren't my best feature.

So, next item on the agenda is buying some new pants. I guess I've been reluctant to buy new pants because I have 30 more pounds to lose. I don't want to buy them and have them swimming on me 10 pounds from now. But, after this week's hike, it's clear to me that the old maternity capris are really just not cutting it anymore.


2) The second thing I learned is that whenever these two people are in the kitchen, it's gonna be hard to resist anything they make:

7-11-09-small-3


Mr. Mustard and Paprika have been very busy making organic banana bread lately. They have perfected their recipe, and it is divine. I am not going to share it with you because if I did, you would all gain 20 pounds. It's that good.

7-11-09-small-4


It's not JUST that it's warm and gooey, and has dark chocolate chips and brown sugar on top. It's made by two of the people I love most in the world, which makes it just the most wonderful food ever. I think that's the definition of comfort food, right? Love.

7-11-09-small-5


Well, what wasn't comforting was the scale after eating it for three days straight. I didn't gain weight, but I didn't lose weight either. And that is very frustrating to me.


3) So, thirdly, I learned that it's okay to say no to food. It's okay to JUST SAY NO! There will be other opportunities for comfort food, for banana bread, for it all. We are lucky to live in a society where food is plentiful and it's a pretty sure bet that if you really want something, it will be available again.

That is a big lesson for me. The cookies, the cakes, the sugar...they are all very available and I know if I say goodbye to them for awhile, they will always be ready to take me back...at any point.

My desire for these foods is definitely tied into my view of them as scarce, as precious. The food my family makes for me is so precious, so rare, that of course I want to eat the whole thing. Part of lowering my intense desire for these foods is to realize that 1) these foods are not really scarce, and 2) that they are keeping me from my goals.

So, what do I want more? To feel healthy and fit and alive? Or to enjoy the momentary pleasures of taste?

If I really think about it, I know that my big goals of health and wellness mean so much more than a few fleeting tasty bites.

4) The fourth thing I learned is that giveaways are very fun and a great way to connect! Check out my Giveaways Tab to find out if you are the Skinny Tuesday winner from last week.

Just for fun, I am going to announce another Skinny Tuesday Giveaway tomorrow. Yea!!!!

No comments: