Monday, June 8, 2009

Back In LA!

36w-3d-baby 5-small-2

After I posted early Sunday morning, I started having very strong contractions that were coming at regular intervals- about five minutes apart! At about 5am, I woke Mr. Mustard up. I had not gone to sleep yet because I was in so much pain there was just no way I could sleep. Mr. Mustard and I decided to pack up the car and head straight to the hospital in Los Angeles.

Once we got in the car, the contractions started coming more quickly, until it felt like I was contracting all the time. I would guess the contractions were about a minute long and were coming every two minutes. The drive to our hospital from Santa Barbara usually takes about two hours- sometimes three hours- and Mr. Mustard got there in an hour and a half. I don't think he was speeding...but we were moving at a nice clip and every traffic light seemed to turn green for us. It was wonderful! I was in a lot of pain, but wanted to appear very calm, so that Mr. Mustard would be calm. I knew he was feeling some pressure to get to the hospital- I kept thinking to myself, "we cannot have this baby in the car!"

Once we got to the hospital, we went straight to Labor and Delivery and I got hooked up to contraction and fetal heart monitors. The nurse determined that I was having very strong contractions and that they were coming regularly. They did an internal check, but I wasn't really dilated very much- just 1 or 2cm and 20% effaced.

So, after talking to my doctor, she said I should probably go home and get some rest and eat...and wait and see what happens. They thought that the contractions might be due to dehydration from all the gastrointestinal distress I've been having this week.

While I was there, another doctor and a midwife did a quick ultrasound to check on a few things. I didn't get a picture of the ultrasound...but I do have a picture from my last prenatal appointment- which is posted up at the top. That was taken at 36 weeks 3 days.

Mr. Mustard brought me home from the hospital, I took a nap, and drank a lot of water...and stayed in bed. I've still been having contractions but they are not regular like they were- a few an hour, maybe. Still pretty painful, but nothing regular. Labor could happen soon, or not for weeks. We just don't know!

So far everything is looking good! Mr. Mustard has his last day of work today. He took the train back up to Santa Barbara to finish up for his last day. I'm hoping that labor happens soon...wishful thinking probably, but I really want to meet our baby. :-)


No comments: