Thursday, July 23, 2009

Five Weeks!

7-23-09-small-3

Ginger is five weeks old today! Eeek! She is slowly waking up to the world. She smiles sometimes, and it is adorable- but I can rarely catch it on camera! One of these days...

My body is healing, and when I look in the mirror I can sort of see a distant version of my pre-pregnancy self. I know it takes time! I have lost 31.5 pounds since giving birth (yes, that extra 1.5 pounds does count!) and have about 50 pounds to go to get back to where I was before getting pregnant with the twins.

Now that my marathon of pregnancies has come to an end, it feels kinda weird to be the only inhabitant of my body. Last night Mr. Mustard gave me some quiet time to myself (to take a shower!) and I thought for the first time in a long time, "wow, I am really alone right now....there is no one living inside me!" Since December 2007 (when I got pregnant with the baby we miscarried in the first trimester), I have basically always been pregnant, except for the six weeks in between my twin pregnancy and Ginger. I don't remember much about that time after we lost the twins, except that I was very very sad about not being pregnant, so "being alone" in my body was not something I felt good about.

7-23-09-small-1

I know a lot of women miss being pregnant, but I have to say that I am really glad that Ginger is here and I'm not pregnant with her anymore. My whole pregnancy I was worried that she wouldn't arrive safely, and now here she is and I couldn't be more happy about that. So, I don't miss being pregnant because she is here- beautiful, healthy, thriving- and I am so grateful and thankful for that.

It just feels weird not to be pregnant after being pregnant for so long. Of course, I am nursing, so my body is not totally my own...but I like being able to do things like exercise and not think, "is this going to hurt the baby?"

I'm so glad that Ginger is big and healthy, and thriving. It makes everything seem worth it. Although I still wish our twins were here, and the baby we lost before our twins, I am so grateful for our Gingery-bear. She is an answer to my prayers, and we all love her so much!

7-23-09-small-2


No comments: