Saturday, May 2, 2009

One Of Those Days...

IMG_3149


Even though things are easier up in Santa Barbara, some days are still rough.

My friends have told me for the past year about how their kids climb out of their cribs, and I always wondered why Paprika didn't. Well, now I know why. Her crib in Pasadena is basically an impenetrable fort and I don't think a 5 year old could climb out of it. Pre-pregnancy, I laid in it a few times with Paprika and I had a hard time getting out of it.

Well, the crib up here in Santa Barbara is a "normal" crib. And it takes Paprika about 2 seconds to climb out of it. So, I set up a twin bed in her room for her to sleep in, but she isn't having that. Oh no. Last night I started putting her to bed at 10pm (a normal bedtime for her), and she walked into the living room 3 minutes later. I tried to get her to sleep in the twin bed, and even offered to sleep with her in the twin bed, but that didn't work either.

Our night ended with her falling asleep on the couch at 2:30 am. I waited to make sure she was really asleep, and carried her into her room at 3:30am. By 5:15am, she was awake and out of the crib.

Needless to say, she was so tired and cranky today. I've never heard of a child who can function on so little sleep. She can go days without sleeping...but of course, she is very hard to handle when she gets like that. If she had it her way, she would stay up all night and sleep all day. No matter what I do, no matter what tricks I employ, that's how she is. Up all night...sleep all day. Since birth. Since I was pregnant with her.

So, I'm at a loss for what to do. She won't sleep in a "big girl bed" and she won't stay in the crib. She wants to party all night long, and I am dang tired. She took a little nap this afternoon, and now at 1am, I am still unable to get her to stay in bed and go to sleep for the night. Why can't she just go to sleep at a decent hour like every other kid on the planet? I just don't get it...


No comments: