Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Graduate!

6-21-12-6-800


School is out for summer! We are probably the last school in North America who gets out this late - it's almost JULY for crying out loud!

Today was Paprika's last day of developmental kindergarten. Her school had a promotion ceremony for the kids, since they are all going on to kindergarten next year.

6-21-12-4-600


Paprika was so excited for us to come to school for her "graduation" and party. The kids all got little certificates, and said goodbye to their teacher.

I was so glad Uncle Robbie was here - we put him to work carrying the water bottles to the classroom. Haha!

6-21-12-3-800


Paprika said she will miss her teacher very much, as well as all her classmates. She is already counting down the days to "Senior Kindergarten" and she is hopeful that there will be more girls in her class next year. That should be easy since there were only two other girls in her class this year. Haha.

This is Paprika with her teacher on the last day of school:

6-21-12-5-800


And this is her with her teacher a few weeks ago. I forgot to mention it, but Paprika won a raffle at school to have a private lunch with her teacher. Paprika was so excited about it and had me pack her a special lunch to share. Paprika wasn't feeling so hot on this day, so I kinda felt bad about that after the fact (I didn't realize she was under the weather until after she got home). Anyway, Paprika still said she had a great time and was so glad she got to have her special luncheon:

6-15-12-1-800


I can't believe the school year is over! I am already feeling anxious about Paprika's class placement next year. I found out there is one teacher we should prefer, and I didn't request her...and now I am a ball of nerves wondering who Paprika will get!

I am excited for summer - we start swimming again on Monday, and then boom...I know the summer is going to fly by, and next thing you know it, it will be back to school time.

I know I went back and forth about whether to put Paprika in "regular" kindergarten this year - and I am so glad I opted to give her an extra year's time. This has been a great way for us to ease into the transition of school and I know she is VERY prepared - academically and socially - for next year. She is also super comfortable at the school - she knows all the teachers and therapists, and that makes things so much better. Next year she will continue occupational therapy, speech therapy, and her friendship group. I feel like I have already done so much groundwork, we're off to a running start.

But for now, I will just exhale a little bit and let myself enjoy summer. :-)


Pin It

4 comments:

bearie1 said...

Our school district gets out on Monday, the 25th.

I'm sure you made the right decision regarding Paprika and kindergarten. We ended up holding our daughter back after 1st grade. It would have been a lot easier on everyone to do it sooner.

Love reading your blog. The girls are so cute.

OTtraveller said...

I am so happy to hear that Paprika is successful at school and likes going!
...Looking forward to reading your blog to find out about next year (we are moving to India next week). Happy summer!

Mimi said...

Erika, I am so glad this worked out well. I really feel that your decision has set Paprika up for life, she's set now for success rather than struggling. I'm so glad it worked out so well; I felt it would and that you would not regret it.
She's a wonderful little girl and so very talented!

Mimi said...

oops, meant to say a Private Lunch with the Teacher is a lovely raffle prize!