Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Skinny Tuesday

yerba1


(Photo: Yerba Mate plant)


Well, you know how I am addicted to Coke? I have been trying for years to release my dependency on it. I found an old day planner from 2001 and what do you know...one of my goals back then was "quit drinking Coke."

Ay yay yay!

So, here I am almost 10 years later and still fighting that battle.

I used to have a major Diet Coke addiction, but about 5 years ago I quit drinking it for good (after 5 years of struggling to stop). I was having a lot of problems with aspartame (and all artificial sweetners, in general), so I cut that out of my life, and it helped me so much. So much.

But, of course, I just eventually replaced Diet Coke with regular Coke...and now I find I am really just not normal without my Coke every day.

I was drinking Mexican Coke for awhile (it has real sugar instead of HFCS)...but that hasn't lasted because it's hard to find and it's pricey...and I just can't stand the fact that I NEED to have it.

Anyhoo- I have been trying to find a way to stop my need for so much Coke. I have been telling myself for so long that I "need" it- for energy, for sanity...so often I am by myself with the kids for days and nights on end while Mr. Mustard is working, and I really get so little sleep. It would actually probably shock some of y'all how little the people in this house sleep...

I am not complaining about that at all...I just sometimes feel like in order to operate on the deficit of sleep that I have, and be fully present for my kids during the day, I need caffeine.

So, a few weeks ago, the guy at Trader Joe's talked me into buying some Yerba Mate (pic of the plant is above), and of course, I have been resisting it. But yesterday, I was chatting on the phone with my BFF, Ann, while she was waiting in the airport, and I decided..."why not make myself a cup now?" Like right now...and drink it...right now.

So, even though I am so resistant to trying any new foods (hello, I am just like Paprika!)...I did it anyway.

It tasted disgusting.

But then I put it in a glass with ice, and it was actually pretty good.

I know that part of my addiction to Coke is how cold it is when it comes out of the fridge. I love that icy cold feeling...how it chills your whole mouth when you drink it. (I know water would have the same effect, but it's not caffeinated)!

So, yesterday I tried Yerba Mate...finally...and I think I might be making a break-through in my Coke addiction.

I realize that it's just jumping from one caffeinated beverage to the next...but at least Yerba Mate boasts some pretty great antioxidants, and is not chock-full of HFCS...not to mention the approximately 500 calories/day I will be saving by not drinking Coke.

So, we'll see if I can stick to it. Yesterday I had one Coke (instead of my usual 3.5)...so, an improvement. The last time I tried to quit Coke, it was a disaster and I ended up pulling into a gas station while Paprika and Ginger were both crying in the backseat of the car (Ginger was tired, and Ginger crying makes Paprika cry...and both of them crying at the same time makes me stressed). Anyway, that day I ended up buying NINE liters of Coke at the gas station because I was feeling crazy and decided I could NEVER be without Coke again. Never ever. But all that's behind me now...hopefully!

So, I made it through yesterday with just one Coke and today I'm hoping to do the same. Then maybe I can cut down to 1/2 Coke/day...and then to none at all...

Assuming I don't replace my Cokes with any other calories, that would work out to 500 calories/day, or 3500 calories/week...which means I would be losing 1 pound/week...or 52 pounds/year just by not drinking Coke. So, this is exciting...not that I need to lose 52 pounds, but it would be nice to be FREE from having to drink Coke all day long for energy.

Because, really, at the end of the day, that's what my Skinny Tuesday mission is all about. Feeling healthy, good, vibrant, energetic, and at my best physically!

8 comments:

Jacinta said...

Ooops, I've never drank coke until I had a baby at home, and now I can't get enough of the stuff. This is a good PSA for me. I do love coffee and am hoping to switch back....

Anonymous said...

totally unrelated to post, but would love to see you in June!!!!! really really really!!
BIG hug
you can beat the Coke, I know you can

FourJedis said...

You have such a great, contagiou attitude. I'm glad you did the math on the coke and have tried an alternative. I haven't tried the Yerba mate, so don't know the flavor, but could you spice it up a bit by putting it in sparkling water with fruit soaking in there or something fun like that?

Devon MIKELS said...

you can do it!

eek, skinny tuesday! i better jump on that bandwagon again!

Amee said...

from one fellow coke addict to another...good luck to you! you can do it!! :]

Carly Marie said...

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Did I just read my own post? WOW!

Erika. I am totally in the same boat as you only it is diet coke for me. I have about 3 a day. It has to be icey cold too. I seriously wonder how I would get through my day without it.

I really hope you can beat your addiction.

I am drinking a diet coke as we speak. Oh dear. I don't even know how I would start to stop.

Love to you girl xxxx

Brenna said...

I gave up the Diet Coke with no problems while pregnant, but now it's inching its way back into my life. I should stop before I start enjoying it too much again!!! I do, however, NEED my one cup of coffee in the morning. I'm not sure if it's about the ritual as much as the caffeine--but I really do enjoy it. Good luck on your "kick the Coke" quest!

Anonymous said...

Yay--good for you! I am a big time soda drinker, but its all diet...which I know is worse because of all the crap in it. Why does water have to be so boring??

You're an inspiration, girl! Keep it up!