Saturday, May 15, 2010

Paprika's Room!

I have had a lot of fun transforming Paprika's room. I wanted her room to be a beautiful place for her to relax, have quiet time to herself...kind of her own personal sanctuary.

When we moved in to our house two months ago, her room looked like this:

Before:

P1000955


Definitely not a little girl's room!

P1000960


The light fixture was coming out of the ceiling and the curtains were old and very dusty.


P1000957


The inspiration for the room was "Come Fly With Me"- I wanted the room to be about reaching for the sky, following your dreams, and soaring to imaginative, beautiful places.

I decided on a hot-air balloon theme. Paprika loves all balloons, especially hot-air balloons. So, I decided to run with it and this is where it took me!

After:

5-7-10-small-22


Overstock happened to have a hot air balloon rug. Score! Mr. Mustard helped me lay down the rug, and when Paprika saw it in her room, she got so excited that she laid down and kissed the rug. It was a big hit!

You, of course, know the story behind the queen-sized bed. The canopy is from Ikea ($19). The hot air balloons on the wall are vinyl decals from Etsy ($15 on sale).

I got kind of lucky on the bedding. It's a Pottery Barn Kids (PBK) quilt that I've had my eye on for awhile, but it goes for about $200 new (including shipping). I found the same PBK quilt on Ebay for...drumroll please...$26! So, her new quilt was $26 instead of over $200. Of course, it's pre-owned (that's my word for used- ha!), but it's in great condition, and don't quilts get better with age and history, anyway?

5-8-10-small-2


The lighting fixture is from Ikea ($19). I loved how the clouds tied into my hot-air balloon and soaring theme. I left the original curtain rods (mostly because I didn't want to have to hang new ones- ha!).

I replaced the old curtains with pink gingham curtains from PBK. I had tried the Target blackout curtains, but they let in so much light! So, I splurged a bit on the curtains and it was well worth it. I don't want anyone in this house waking up at daybreak if they don't have to! ;-)

5-8-10-small-3


I rounded out the room with a little lamp from Target ($13) - it's the same one that's in Ginger's room. I figure if they ever share a room, it will be a matched pair!

Overall, not bad for her own little bedroom nook. I think it looks pretty cozy, but then again...I might be biased! :-)

5-8-10-small-1


9 comments:

Southern Gal said...

It's beautiful. You did a great job and saved so much money!

Lauren said...

I love it! It's so pretty and cozy. I'm sure Paprika enjoys hanging out in there.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on another beautiful room!!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I found you via Heather Sphor's blog. I really appreciated the comment you left on her post. I agree with you, you just can't judge someone.

On a lighter note....

that room is darling!

FourJedis said...

It's gorgeous and I'm so impressed with how much you saved on it! I love that she kissed the rug. <3

waikikimum said...

Such a beautiful little girls room. You have done a wonderful job and your babies are precious. Kathy

Anonymous said...

That looks so great!! You have motivated me big time with your thriftiness. I wanted a bench for our front porch but didn't want to spend a lot. Well last night a neighbor had one on the curb to throw away and I snagged it! It needs SO much work....I hope I can do half as good a job as you! You should have seen the workers outside at house next to me while I am carrying this thing down the street. I'm probably nuts - ha! Here's a pic of it, lots of potential I think. http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftzilla/4615374365/

Faith

Brenna said...

So, so cute!!! I would have LOVED that room as a little girl.

da said...

BRAVO!!!! You have amazing talent for transforming rooms!