Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Surf's Up!

8-18-10-8-800


Today we were all set to go to the beach but decided to go hang out with some friends at the last minute. We met these friends through Paprika's preschool and we've become really good family friends with them this summer.

Their house is three blocks from the beach- a little beach bungalow that is sooo cute it looks like a houseboat. The dad stays home, the mom is on maternity leave, they have a little girl two weeks younger than Paprika, and a newborn little boy. So, the four of them are home all day...and the four of us are home all day (for now since Mr. Mustard is working odd hours this summer)- and so it's just this kind of surreal, laid-back thing where we're all around during the day.

The stay-at-home dad and Mr. Mustard have become good friends, and I don't want to burst his bubble when he finds out that Mr. Mustard usually works about a gazillion hours/week once he goes back to DWTS...so...basically this week is the last time he's gonna see him!

Bye bye summer. Hello reality!

I have been working on getting Ginger on a schedule...you know, for sleeping (oh yes, that). I think some structure would do us all some good. But then we have to be home all the time to enforce this sleeping schedule, and we don't get to go out and do all of our fun adventures.

After we'd spent some time at our friends' house, I decided that I would sneak away by myself and take Ginger for a walk up the beach and hope that she would fall asleep for a nap. But, of course, she didn't nap at all. Which meant she was sooo cranky and tired for the rest of the afternoon. But if I'd stayed home, I would have missed out on that walk on the beach with her.

Being spontaneous is one of life's greatest gifts...but on the other hand, a sleeping, well-rested baby is also a gift! ;-)

If I had to pick one, I'd say I'd rather go with the adventures and choose sleep later. When the sun is shining and the surf is up, who wants to stay home and have a nap? Well, I guess it depends on the day! Haha!

No comments: