Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Skinny Tuesday- Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

food-revolution


Last Tuesday, I was discussing how my love of chocolate was overshadowing my desire to be fit.

Of course, that was on Tuesday. On Wednesday, we went to the beach, and on that day I was surrounded by a bunch of college girls whose love of chocolate has not caught up to them yet. Needless to say, they looked pretty great and I decided I am not done on this journey!

That very night I was reading Michele's blog and she mentioned Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution- the new show on ABC. She's the one who got me started on my health kick in the first place (especially the elimination of excitoxins from my diet)...so I had to watch the show. Of course, Mr. Mustard has been telling me to watch it from day one...and we know a bunch of people who work on the show (because reality television is a very small world)...but instead I had to wait for Michele to blog about it. Ha!

From episode one, I was hooked. Just hooked on it. You can watch it for free on Hulu.com (like I did) or you can watch it on ABC.com (also for free). Or you can start watching the episodes the old fashioned way. It airs at 9pm on Friday nights, which is a pretty awful timeslot, if you ask me...but well worth fitting into your schedule!

One thing the show is really making me think about is the food Paprika eats (and eventually Ginger will eat, too). It's a struggle getting kids to eat well, and Paprika really only wants to drink milk and eat corn chips and chocolate. Those three things would be her ideal diet if she made the rules. So, I do my best, but of course, I know I can do better. Just over the past week, the show has inspired me to make a few changes around here in just the simple things we do. For one, the remaining Easter candy went bye-bye into the trash. I did shed a tear or two over its departure but I know there's always next year...

I'm excited to see what the next episodes bring- so far he's made changes in the elementary and highschools, challenged a local radio DJ to a bet, and helped a family change their eating habits.

Overall, I am liking the show quite a bit, and it's rekindled the fire under me. Definitely worth checking out!

5 comments:

With Out My Punkin said...

I heard about it last week, not sure how... :) I have a handy TVo so I can watch it not so late at night :) I loved it and hope that he can become nation wide in our schools!

Home Is Where They Send Us said...

I have sort of been watching it. Its a great show and definitely has inspired me to try eating better again. I have days where I eat awesome and then others where I find myself at a drive thru! Hoping to get a foodsaver and kick start my health again;) LOL

Erika said...

jessica- i know! i signed the petition last night!

Michele S said...

I am so glad you watched it! I am cracking up that you didn't until I wrote about it. Someone told me to watch it a month ago and I just never got around to it!

I am really moved by the show. I see so many of the problems in the kids my kids go to school with. I just know that anyone of those kids would excel if they just had the right food, sleep, and structure. It breaks my heart. I sure hope people get something out of it.

Kelly said...

I love Jamie. Haven't watched anything of his for a while. Hmmmm, will have to check it out. Thanks.