Thursday, August 30, 2012

What A Week!


Wow, what a difference a week makes! Last weekend, I took a short trip to Indiana to visit my Grandma, who is no longer able to travel. Baby Violet went with me (of course!) - and the big girls stayed home with Mr. M and their Grandma Pat!

It was the first time I have ever been away overnight from Paprika and Ginger except for when I've been in the hospital giving birth. So, I was pretty emotional about it. Paprika and Ginger barely noticed I was gone - ha! I think they really enjoyed their time with their grandma and their daddy. :-)

It was a great visit, and well-worth the trip. I was sad I didn't get to see more family members and friends while I was in Indiana, but I was there for such a short time. I got lots of pictures (still on my camera!) - and made a lot of memories. Mostly, I was just so glad that my Grandma got to meet little Violet and squeeze her! :-)


I got back to Los Angeles on Monday night, and was thrown right back into the thick of things here. It was as if I'd never left!


Tuesday was Back To School Night. I went to Paprika's school and met her teacher (who I had already met several times before...she is a great teacher). Then, Wednesday was Paprika's first day of Kindergarten.

I kind of knew right off the bat that Paprika's class wasn't going to work well for her for a variety of reasons. So, after a bunch of maneuvering on Wednesday, the school administrators and I decided to switch Paprika to a different kindergarten class...and the class we decided to switch her to happens to be at a different school!

So, Paprika had her first day of Kindergarten at one school on Wednesday and her first day of Kindergarten at a new school today! All this on top of me taking the girls to daily swim team practice and also taking care of three year old Ginger and 9 month old Violet. Whew!


And then today was the fullest day of all! Last night Paprika had a bit of an anxiety attack when I told her that she'd be visiting a new school today...a bit being an understatement - haha. But, I really would not have moved her if I didn't think it was the absolute best thing for her in the long-term.


Anyhoo- as part of the bargain in calming her down, I told her that if she made it through the school day today (only 3 hours) - that we could do whatever she wanted to do for the rest of the day after school. So we did! That included lunch at McDonald's (of course). A trip to the beach to build sandcastles and play in the ocean.


Sidenote: photos from Instagram. I'm erika_urthmama...if you want to add me


After the beach, a full hour of swim team practice. And then the swim team had their summer banquet after practice and Paprika got an award/certificate for being promoted to swim team. The banquet was over two hours long and included dinner and free swim time. Mr. M was able to come to the banquet - he left work early and fought traffic to be there - and we were all so happy he did. He swam in the pool with Ginger and Paprika...I think Ginger was happiest of all to ride on her daddy's shoulders in the pool.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that on Monday, we found out that Paprika had been asked to join the swim team! :-) Yay!!!


So, after a very long day, I am just sitting down now with Violet in my lap (her first nap of the day), and taking a long deep breath. I am so glad it's almost the weekend. It has been such a busy week. I am still sorting through a few things with the school situation (Paprika has an IEP and I have to figure out how that's going to work at the new school)- but I am hopeful that all this hard work is going to be for a good reason. :-)



Pin It

1 comment:

bearie1 said...

Wow, you had a busy week. I love the pictures of Paprika. Congratulations on making the swim team sweetie. I'm sure you made the best decision for her changing classes/schools. Elaine