Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Kiddie Rave!

11-19-12-3

On Sunday, I took the girls to a birthday party for one of Paprika's classmates who was turning 5 years old. Paprika made this sweet little card for her friend. It said: Birds will play and bunnies will play on your birthday. So sweet!

The party was at an aerial acrobatics studio that the mom's friend owns.  The owner left her the keys and said, "Just clean up when you're done. I don't want to know what happens!"

Mr. M was at work, so I had all three kids by myself.  I was considering dropping Paprika off at the party - I've never done that before, but I noticed a lot of parents were dropping their kids off at the party.  Well, I was soooo glad I stayed at the party because things got a little insane! ;-) There were kids flying on the trapezes, for example:

11-19-12-2

The music was soooo loud - it was Top 40 Katy Perry kind of dance music...and you couldn't hear anything but the music.  Everyone had glow sticks and glow necklaces, so they turned out all the lights for most of the party.   The whole thing was majorly overstimulating, and I felt like I was going to pass out or throw up, or both. 

11-19-12-1

At first, the kids were having fun (for the first 15 minutes or so).  But after a few minutes, Paprika got really overstimulated.  Then, Ginger was terrified when they turned out the lights because she couldn't see and the music was so deafening she couldn't hear anything.

I had promised the girls we would stay for cake, and they really wanted to stay for cake.  I wanted to keep my word, so we kept waiting, but after almost two hours of the music blaring...still no cake.  Then, just when I thought it might be cake time, the pizza arrived.  So, I knew we were looking at another 45 minutes at least before cake. 

At this point, Ginger was crying and Paprika was laying on a mat with her hands over her ears to drown out the deafening music and Violet was trying her hardest to stage-dive out of the Ergo. 

So, I told the girls we had to go. We always make a promise when we go in anywhere that if anyone needs to leave because they feel sick or overwhelmed or for any reason, then we ALL leave. It's kind of a Three Musketeers thing. So, since they were not admitting to wanting to leave, I took one for the team and told them I felt soooo sick and we had to go. Right now.

I felt bad about leaving the party early. But, I held on as long as I could! ;-)

I told the girls we would make brownies when we got home to make up for missing out on birthday cake.  Of course, the brownies didn't get done baking until after 9pm, so...you can imagine how the rest of the night went!  Haha!  I drove home in silence, trying to calm the girls back down to Earth...only to bake brownies and shoot them straight to the moon before bedtime.  Sometimes, you can't win. :-)

No comments: