Thursday, February 18, 2010

Skinny Tuesday...errrr...Friday?


Well, needless to say, I've been busy around here. I find I have so much to do, I haven't had too much time to focus on my weightloss.

I stepped on the scale this morning after an almost two week break of weighing myself. I haven't been following a plan. I haven't been working out (not that I ever really do!) I have been eating whatever I want, whenever I want.

I was really worried I'd step on the scale today and see a 5 pound gain.

But...nope! I was the same weight as I was two weeks ago.

The same weight. That is a nice place to be at the moment.

This gives me hope that I am re-training my brain to enjoy good foods that are healthy. Even though I felt like I was over-indulging, the scale didn't budge. So, if I go back to what I was doing before, I will probably lose weight...

One of my big shifts I've been doing is how I think about, or how I visualize the food I eat.

Nothing is bad, or off limits. Food is something to be enjoyed...savored. But I am training my mind to find comfort in different kinds of foods. I can still eat pizza (one of my favorite foods of all time), but instead of being laden with lots of cheese and pepperoni, it will look like this instead:

food2


I am very much a creature of habit, and the truth is that my old habits involved a lot of cheeseburgers, fries, cokes, and chocolate. Lots of chocolate.

Now I find if I'm going to get in the habit of something, it's going to be warm, gooey squash, baked mushrooms and carrots, a big juicy orange, or a whole wheat pita sandwich stuffed with avocado. And a few squares of dark chocolate thrown in for good measure. ;-)

I'm not one to make my food "perfect" - I find that any kind of veggie tossed with a little olive oil and thrown in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees is going to taste really good to me now.

And on the occasions I drink a huge soda or eat a bucket of fries...those days are okay, too. But now my body drags afterwards, and I find that I don't like how I feel for the 12 hours I'm digesting. I associate that sluggish, yucky feeling with those so-called "comfort" foods I used to enjoy, and now I don't find those foods quite so comforting or enjoyable.

This is definitely a big journey for me, and I am not interested in getting to my goal weight fast. Don't get me wrong, I do want to get there! I just want to enjoy the process and find a way to sustain a healthy weight over my whole life. I'm re-training my brain, and I know that doesn't happen overnight!

8 comments:

Claire said...

What a cool post. I am trying my best to change my habits too.

Cxx

PS That pizza looks awesome!

FourJedis said...

You're doing great! It is a long journey trying to learn new lifestyles. Glad someone else is going through this at the same time as me! Keep up the good work, and yum - that pizza looks awfully tasty.

Devon said...

you are so good...i love it! i've been off the bandwagon too...opps! and i've been too scared to step on the step....

keep it up girly! you are doing fab!

Unknown said...

Yum, that pizza looks so good!

Erin said...

I am glad you stayed the same and are enjoying healthy foods. Now that I had my baby I need to start thinking about weight loss!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post...I am trying so hard to change and BETTER my habits. Some days I do great...others I fail.....I have another few free hours to visit new blogs and catch up with friends... One of my favorite past times. Hope you will stop by mine. This is my ONE YEAR Blog Anniversary and there are LOTS of prizes everyday this week and next....I am celebrating the entire month.
Teresa
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

Lost in Space said...

Your lifestyle change is what is going to make this work for you. It's not a "diet". Good for you and keep up the great work.

Lauren said...

Love this post. I really think you should write a weight loss book all about retraining your mind. What I love about this (and you!) is that you've figured it all out by yourself. Without any help, you've worked through your relationship with food and eating, and now you're working on re-wiring your mind. And it's working! Such self-awareness! Such discipline! Cool stuff, E. And btw, a whole wheat pita stuffed with avocado sounds so good right now... I HATED avocados before I had a baby and now I'm loving them.