Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Sunshine In You!

7-27-12-26-800


(Photo by Paprika, age 5)

Every photo I take of Violet, she is smiling. And it's not just photos. She is always smiling. She is happy inside her soul.

It reminds me of a few quotes I have heard lately:

Now and then, it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy. -Guillaume Apollinaire

7-27-12-17-800


and also:

The secret to having it all is believing you already do. -Unknown

7-27-12-18-800


One thing I really try to reinforce with my kids (and with myself, too!) is that our external circumstances do not make us happy. It's not about what we have, or how the events of our day unfold.

The number one way to be happy is to just be happy.

It doesn't matter how much money you have, or if the garbageman forgets to pick up your garbage, or if the plumbing bursts and your entire sewerline backs up into your shower while you are bathing (this happened to me last week).

In the big scheme of things, these are little things. Have you ever noticed how some people are perpetually unhappy? This or that little thing goes wrong, and they are mad at the world? And then some people have so little and yet...and yet, they are always smiling a real genuine smile?

Why is that?

I am not talking about when horrible and tragic things happen to people and they go through a period of mourning and grieving. I understand that there are TIMES when it is so justified and right to just be sad.

No, what I am talking about is the genuine equilibrium of a person. And how some people are able to harness that sweet sunshine in their souls and just be happy for what is.

Be happy for the sunlight. And when there is no sunlight, happy for the rain. And the moon. And the stars. And when there are no stars, then happy for breath and the chance to wake up again tomorrow.


7-27-12-5-800


A big part of happiness is being present. Is there anyone more present than a baby? Before the world has taught us to want, before the world coerces with we will only be happy when or if...

A baby knows that our happiness is now. There is no reason to want when everything we could ever need is right in front of us. We don't need a reason to smile because everything is a reason to be happy.

My sweet Violet, you are only 8 months old and yet you teach me things every single day. I love the sunshine in you!

7-27-12-15-600


Pin It

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a little doll!! <3

Amee said...

Love this! Violet is just too cute!

waikikimum said...

Love all your posts,but especially this one We could all learn a lot from this. Oh and Violet is just the cutest!!!

Devon said...

Amazing post....it's so true! You had me in tears....

Allison said...

Great post! Your daughter is ridiculously cute!!