Friday, May 25, 2012

Make Way For Ducklings!

5-20-12-14-800


I have heard it said that May is the "silent December" - with all the end of year school stuff, we've barely had tiime to catch our breath.

This week was the Season Finale of Dancing With The Stars. I wanted to go - I know I always can go - this season just flew by and I didn't make it to one taping. I know that has a lot to do with having a new baby, and her needing to be fed every two hours.

My sweet neighbor even offered to babysit for me so I could go to the Finale and the Wrap Party. Maybe next season when Baby Violet is older. I have to keep telling myself that this baby stage will not last forever, and that I can go out and whoop it up all I want when she is bigger.

This same sweet neighbor invited us over to swim in her pool last week. It was Heaven! I even got in the hot tub and never wanted to leave. This is Ginger hanging out by the pool. Yea, she could get used to this!

5-20-12-9-800


One thing I love about living here is the great neighborhood we have. I know we're just renting, but it makes me want to stay here forever. (Okay, well, once the endless construction noise is over- I swear, my neighbor across the street is going for a record with building his palace). Anyhoo - we have really lucked out with our neighbors, who I consider friends.

So, earlier this week, I was inside my house and had just gotten Violet down for a nap. Ginger was running around without clothes on (because she's pseudo-potty training). I got a knock on the door, and it was my neighbor telling me to come to my driveway. So, when I went outside, I saw this:

5-25-12-1


Cute overload, right?! I had no idea what to do. I mean, we live in Los Angeles! Super urban area here. I was really worried about those ducks. So, I went nextdoor and got my other neighbor because she always knows the right thing to do. She did not know what to do! She went and got our other neighbor, because she, too, always knows what to do. It was like a little domino going down our street.

Before long, our entire block was standing in front of my house trying to figure out what to do with the ducklings. ;-) I was chasing after Ginger trying to get her to put some clothes on! Haha.

One neighbor called Animal Control, but they wouldn't come out to get them. It was decided to capture the ducks and take them to a nearby pond. The ducks got wind of this and set off into my backyard. So, the entire party moved to my backyard (I had put Daisy inside the house, thank goodness- she was going crazy barking at those ducks).

5-25-12-2-800


Eventually, the ducks hopped my back fence into my other neighbor's yard. I had to go get Paprika at school and then go straight to swim lessons (which we couldn't miss because we already missed Saturday's lesson). I figured I would see if they were still there when I got home an hour or so later.

But, when I got home, they were nowhere to be found! I tried to figure out what happened, but so far I have no idea.

5-25-12-3-800


The next day, I took Ginger and Violet to our local pond to feed the ducks and there was a mama duck there with her little ducklings, and if I squinted, I swear they were the same ducklings. So I'm just going with that because my brain cannot handle any other scenario. ;-)

5-25-12-5-800


That night at bedtime, we read Make Way For Ducklings. It was one of those rare instances of life imitating art. I got really teary when I was reading it. Still, I can't help but think about those ducklings and hope that they did make it to the pond. Maybe I'll ask Paprika to write Make Way For Ducklings 2. It's about time for a sequel.

Pin It

No comments: