Friday, February 22, 2013

A Little Sprinkle of Fairy Dust...

paprika


Do you ever have those days when you really try so hard to be a good mom and yet the cards just seemed stacked against you? Haha. Well, yes, today has been one of those days. And if I didn't know to laugh about it I just might cry.

I had decided today to take the girls to the Library for the day - they have been begging to go, and nothing makes you feel like a better mom than taking your kids to the library. Even though I knew Violet would try to climb the shelves and we might get kicked out for it (like we did with Ginger just two years ago!) - but anway, it would be fun while it lasted.

I made the Herculean effort to get all three girls ready: breakfast, potty, diaper changed, dressed, hair combed, teeth brushed, shoes located, snack!

Then it was my turn to get myself dressed. Getting myself ready now takes between three and five minutes. Five minutes tops. It's a quick change into my current "uniform" (sweater dress and leggings), a fast ponytail, and a face washing (no makeup). It is what it is - a season of life, and someday I'll spend an hour again getting dressed, but today was not that day.

Anyhoo- I closed the door to my bedroom to keep everyone OUT so I could get ready fast, and when I emerged four (maybe five) minutes later - I saw this:

salt2


Well, huh...that was FULL five minutes ago.   ;-)

So, it turns out that little Miss Violet got very mad when I closed the door and Paprika desperately wanted to keep her from crying. So, to keep Violet entertained, the girls had a very happy time sprinkling the rest of the house with "fairy dust" (salt) - all over EVERYTHING.

The floors, the beds, the couches...you name it.

Which wouldn't be so bad except my vacuum cleaner is a little cantankerous (it works sorta kinda, if you turn it just right).

Undaunted, I left the salt for later and forged ahead -  determined to get to the freaking library before Violet needed her nap. We got in the car and I noticed Ginger was acting a little puny. She is always SO energetic and yet she could barely keep her eyes open. I asked her if she wanted water, but she said in the most pathetic voice: No, just a chocolate shake from McDonald's, please.

Well, she's only had a shake once before from McDonald's - and she loved it. Ever since then I've told her that they ran out of ingredients and don't make them anymore. But today she looked so pathetic, I thought...Okay. Let's perk her up a bit.

We make it through the drive-thru and now I have bought three shakes because we're at that stage now where we have to buy everything in triplicate. I pull over and give Ginger her shake - but she won't touch it. She says, "Can we just go home so I can go back to bed?"

sleep


So, we made a big U-Turn in the van...and we never got to the Library at all.  I put Ginger to bed, and put Paprika and Violet in the backyard to play while I "de-salted" the house. 

I am sure we will be stepping in salt for the next five years...but I guess there are worse things than a little sprinkling of fairy dust.  ;-)


Happy Weekend!

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Isn't Paprika the sweetest girl? desperately trying to keep Violet happy!
I remember that Herculean effort to get everyone ready; sometimes it seemed not worth the bother.
Hope Ginger is ok?