Friday, May 23, 2008

Today's Nuchal Fold Ultrasound- 11 weeks 6 days

Today, Paprika, Mr. Mustard, and I all went to the doctor's office for my Nuchal Fold Ultrasound (NT Scan). Paprika was phenomenal in the waiting room (we were waiting for 45 minutes to 1 hour). She was SO cute, going around to everyone going, "I like your shoes!" and passing out lollipops saying, "Here you go!" and at one point took the sign in sheet down and was bringing it around to everyone showing it to them and asking them to sign in. So, she was perfect- a total doll.

Then we went into the ultrasound room and I got up on the table and they turned out the lights. When she saw them put the wand on me, she started screaming at the top of her lungs, "NOOOOO! Don't hurt mommy!!!!!" and just totally lost her mind (she was in the stroller at that point and was trying to rip off the harness). I was saying to Mr. Mustard, "Please, take her out- please go now- please LEAVE!" but he didn't want to leave and was saying, "Oh, she'll calm down." Well, it just got worse so finally I was basically yelling at Mr. Mustard to get out of the room- and Paprika was screaming so hard- when they left, I could hear them all the way down the hall, out of the office, and until she got to the elevator.

I think she was REALLY scared that the u/s tech and machine were going to hurt me. All day since then, she's been hugging me, kissing me, and checking in on me (like when I was taking a nap later this afternoon, she kept asking Mr. Mustard to open the door to my bedroom and saying things like, "Mommy's okay. Mommy's okay. Mommy's okay.") She is usually NOT snuggly like that at all- so I know that she's really worried about me.

The tech was not as good as the one we had with Paprika. It took her FOREVER to get the measurements (over 1/2 hour)- at first she couldn't find a nasal bone on baby A, etc. The neck measurements were okay- baby B was 1.7 and baby A was 2.2 (anything under 3 is good). The overall risk for Down Syndrome was 1 in 1400 for baby A and 1 in 500 for Baby B. The babies are perfect sizes- growing great. One was measuring 12 weeks 2 days and the other is measuring 12 weeks on the dot. So, that's good news!

I asked her repeatedly to check for the sex- and she basically blew me off. She kind of wanded over that area VERY briefly and just said it was too early to tell. She definitely was not putting in the effort and at one point she even was commenting on the sex while looking at a profile of the baby! She was like- well, I can't really tell- and she was looking at a profile. I was thinking- yea, from that angle, there's NO way you could tell even at 30 weeks!

Oh, and the thing about twins is (I am learning this)- is that the doc charges you TWICE for everything. So, the NT Scan is being billed as two ultrasounds- and we had to pay a double deposit for it. It's definitely not two babies for the price of one-it's two babies for the price of two!

So, overall, a successful visit- even if it did involve a major meltdown by Paprika. I'm glad to be home, and glad that results of the NT scan were so good.

No comments: