Saturday, May 20, 2006

Third Trimester Today!

Today marks the first day of my Third Trimester!!!

Mr. Mustard and I were supposed to go to Hawaii this past week- but that ended up not happening because we wanted to use our free flights from Southwest- and they now fly to Hawaii, BUT they won't let you use your free tickets for Hawaii. Bummer. So then we decided to go to the cabin in New Hampshire, and were all set on that- but it turns out that Mr. Mustard has to work some more on the RPS documentary...so, we didn't end up going to New Hampshire after all.

I was pretty bummed about it because I think it's the last real chance for a vacation for just the two of us before the baby is born. He has been working really hard on the documentary, and I finally saw a cut of it this past week. It really looks great! It's about the World Championship Rock Paper Scissors (RPS) tournament, and it's really funny. They're going to submit it to the Toronto Film Festival- and I guess they got the deadline moved up, because it was supposed to be submitted last Friday, but somehow they still have at least another week to work on it before it's due. After that he's either doing a show for ABC or doing an MTV show starting on 5/29, which will carry him all the way until September. I'm really proud of him- he works so hard, and is so talented. :-)

I'm still on the fence about whether or not to take the Bar in July. I've sort of started studying for it (just 20 minutes here and there). Graduating has been great, but it's also a let-down because for so long there has been this forward momentum in my life of overcoming the next obstacle...and now that's gone. I feel sort of lost- like, what am I supposed to do now? I was looking forward to starting my job, but I don't think that will happen because of the insanely long hours not being compatible with having a baby. I don't feel like I'm "giving up anything" by not taking the big firm job I've been offered- I just want to know what to do now so that I'm productive, and useful, and feel like I'm doing something with my life. I am really looking forward to the baby being here! I think things will be clearer then.

Taking the Bar will require a lot of work on my part- and in a way, it's just an extension of the goal-oriented forward momentum path I was talking about earlier. There is a lot of momentum behind me taking the Bar in July- since I already paid for it, did all the paperwork, applied for the testing accomodations, etc. There's a lot to be said for how much easier it is to just move forward now instead of taking breaks. I mean, law school for me became a lot harder after I got married and took a year off. I had to reapply to get back in, and then deal with travelling 600 miles for school, getting back into classes, and then finally the process of studying at a different school. It would have been so much easier in many ways to not take the year off- but the important thing is that I finished, and did it my way.

I guess that's how my life will end up being- my way. All of my friends are taking (or took) Barbri (the prep course for the Bar)- and most think I'm insane for not taking it. The class starts on Monday, and I've set myself on a study schedule similar to their study schedule. I won't have the in-class lectures or the essay grading support, etc., but I think what's important is that I trust that even though this path I'm taking may be in many ways harder, it's what's better for me. Being 7 months pregnant, I can't imagine driving across town for the Barbri classes every day. So, I'm going to study at my own pace and then decide if I want to take the exam in July. I'm not going to beat myself up if I end up waiting until February to take it. A lot of people are saying, "oh- but it'll be so much harder to take it in February after the baby is born." Whatever. Yes, it will be harder, but what in my life has been easy so far? The important thing is that I take it when I feel ready to take it. I have no doubt that I will do it in my own time, even if it's not the typical timeline everyone else follows. I realize that my path is not everyone else's path- and I'm comfortable with that.

I had the Glucose Tolerance Test this week and met with the doctor. I find out my results on Monday for whether or not I have Gestational Diabetes. I had to drink this very sugary beverage, wait an hour, and then they drew my blood to see how well my body processed the sugar. I talked to my doctor a little bit about the birth, and other concerns, and he was actually really great this time. I have confidence that he's going to be a good person to bring our little girl into the world.

I haven't been feeling too many kicks, but the ones I do feel are so huge! This is what my pregnancy website says about the baby at 27 weeks:
  • Your baby weighs about 2.5 lbs (1.1kg) and is about 10 inches (25cm) from crown to rump and 15 inches (38 cm) long from head to toe.
  • At this time, the baby has tastebuds which allow it to distinguish between sweet, sour and bitter tastes.
  • Brain tissue and brain development increases at this time as your baby grows the folds and grooves needed for a developed brain.
  • Eyebrows and eyelashes are probably present and the hair on your baby's head is growing longer.
  • Your baby's body is filling out, getting a bit fatter as fat deposition continues, but it is still somewhat red and wrinkled.
  • Your baby is big enough for his presentation to be determined. That is, your caregiver can probably tell how your baby is oriented in your uterus. He may be breech (bottom down) or head first. If your baby is in a breech position now, there is no need to worry as there is still plenty of room and time for your baby to change positions.
  • Your baby can feel pain and respond to it in the same way as a full term baby.

I talked to Ann on Friday- and she's being induced on Tuesday (2 days before her due date). I'm so excited!!! She's naming him Cameron Erik and he will most likely be born on Wednesday, May 24th. :-) It's wild to think that in about 12 weeks, I'll be giving birth, too!

I took Hauser to the Laurel Canyon Dog Park this morning. I love going there with him. He usually is all over the other dogs, but today he just wanted to lie in the shade next to me and watch all the other dogs play. I threw the ball with him, so he did get pretty worn out. I've been thinking about going there in the mornings with him, bringing a blanket, and studying. It gets crazy in the afternoon because of all of the Doggy Daycare people bringing their dogs in droves- but the morning might be better. It's funny that the weekends at the dog park are less crowded than the weekdays (because of the Doggy Daycare people not going on the weekends).

Mr. Mustard is at a LAN party today (LAN stands for "local area network). It's basically a big group of guys who bring their computers to one central location, network them, and play video games. Sometimes the LAN parties last for multiple days, but this one is just today- he left this morning and will probably get back really late (4 a.m.?). It's good for him to hang out with those guys- they play eachother online, but it's different to get together in the same space and set up teams. He's really good at it- of course!- which I think makes it more fun. Anyway, I hope he's having a good time. :-)

We saw The DaVinci Code" last night- it was pretty good. Mr. Mustard wasn't crazy about it, but I'm more forgiving. It's hard to adapt a book into a movie. It was our 4th Anniversary of the day we got engaged (May 19, 2002). So, we celebrated by going out and just remembering that. It doesn't seem like that long ago!

Well- I should start my afternoon of studying now. I'm tackling Contracts today. I hope the baby is getting some vicarious learning in utero!

No comments: