Monday, January 2, 2012

The Nutcracker!

12-30-11-14-800


One of my favorite memories from this Christmas was taking Paprika to The Nutcracker performance by the Los Angeles Ballet. Last year we tried to go to the Santa Barbara ballet performance with Grandma Pat, but Paprika (then age 4) just wasn't into it and we ended up leaving during intermission.

I was nervous that this year would be a repeat of last year, but thankfully, I was wrong! It was an amazing night and one I know I'll always remember (even if Paprika doesn't - ha!)

I planned for success. We started talking about the show a month ago and getting excited. I bought the best seats available...third row center...so I knew that she'd be able to see everything. Go big or go home. We got there early and read the program together so she'd know what was going on and who to look for in the cast.

I brought a booster seat with me into the auditorium (got lots of looks, but later people were saying they wished they'd done the same). This helped her see in her own seat, which was much more comfortable for her than sitting on my lap.

12-30-11-16-600


Here is the view from our seats. The curtain had two angels on it, and while we were waiting for the show to start she said, "Look Mommy, it's Vivian and Annemarie." So, that about did me in... :-)

12-30-11-19-800


Paprika brought Little Baby I Love You So (of course) and everytime it was time to clap, she had her baby clapping. Adorbs.

12-30-11-18-800


A few photos from the show...(photos by Reed Hutchinson)

Opening dance:

Grace McLoughlin and Chehon Wespi-Tschopp in My Greatest Fear


One of the most spectacular dances:

The Party; Act I with Ensemble from Los Angeles Ballet's The Nutcracker


Paprika's favorite part (The Sugarplum Fairy). Paprika clapped and squealed when the music started playing):

Allyssa Bross & Christopher Revels as Marie & her Prince from Los Angeles Ballet's The Nutcracker


We have been keeping the magic alive ever since. I gave Ginger the Barbie Nutcracker movie for Christmas (since she didn't get to go to the show), and the movie has been on heavy rotation in our house since Christmas day. Paprika got the commemorative Nutcracker from the show as a Christmas present. Both girls want to be ballerinas when they grow up...well, Paprika wans to be a ballerina, and an astronaut, and a mermaid. If anyone can do it, she can. ;-)

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Fabulous!

Kim said...

I took Brennan to see The Nutcracker for the first time this year and he loved it as well! I need to post about it, but it was an excellent show:)

FourJedis said...

So cute! I bet she remembers it.

Mimi said...

"Look Mommy, it's Vivian and Annemarie." this put tears in my eyes, and your little girl speaks the truth, they were there too.
Sugar Plum Fairy is my favourite part too, our band played it in our Christmas Concert! it's so delicate and light and delicious!