Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Christmas Miracle...

12-19-11-2-800


Little Miss turned 6 weeks old yesterday! Her first six weeks have gone so fast. Ann always says "the first three months after you have a baby are just survival" - and while I normally agree, this time it has felt in many ways less hard than with the other girls. In some ways, it is a lot harder because I have more kids to juggle (haha!) but in other ways, it has been a lot easier.

12-19-11-3-800


She is an easy baby...or maybe I am just more used to what having a newborn entails and so I'm more relaxed with her...I don't know. She is a pretty good sleeper, a great nurser, and overall a very happy baby. I figured out a few weeks ago that she is very sensitive to any kind of cow's milk dairy. It makes her soooooo upset and colicky, so a few weeks ago, I completely cut dairy out of my diet. Almost overnight, that helped her so much.

12-19-11-4-800


A few nights ago, I decided to try adding dairy back in to see if it would make a difference, and oh.my.word...it was like night and day. She was in so much pain and spent 5 hours screaming. So, needless to say, I am dairy-free again for the forseeable future. ;-) A small sacrifice to make for a happy baby.

12-19-11-5-800


Looks-wise, she really favors Ginger. I think they look almost identical at this age, whereas I never thought Paprika and Ginger looked too much alike (although a lot of people told me they did). I guess time will tell as to who looks like who. ;-)

12-19-11-6-800


The most challenging aspect for me has been figuring out how to parent all three girls in a way that gives them all the individualized time and attention they need. Paprika needs help with learning, school work, and all sorts of other things. Ginger is still a baby in some ways...she just turned 2 and a half and is potty training, and needs her snuggle time. She just weaned, which was a big transition for her. She did it on her own, and I am a little grateful (although it is bittersweet, too, of course).

12-19-11-7-800


The big sisters love their baby sister, and it's all I can do to keep them from covering her with kisses day and night. They both want to hold her and play with her. Ginger keeps saying: Her is sooooo cute! I love her sooooo much! Paprika loves holding the baby, and kissing her, and wants to "teach" her everything...like how to clap. Both girls always want to know what the baby is saying, as if I am the master interpreter of baby coos and gurggles.

12-19-11-8-800


Yesterday (on the official 6 week birthday), we spent the day at the Botanical Gardens. She was such a good baby, and I have to say that she pretty much always is. She loves it when we interact with her, and take her exciting places, and as long as she is with her mama, she is a happy girl. I can't believe she's already 6 weeks old. I know I keep saying that, but it's true. My little Christmas miracle is the best present I could have ever received this year. I am so grateful for her with each and every breath I take...

12-19-11-9-800


4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

She is just so beautiful, Erika!! I can't get enough of your pictures of all 3 of them together. It is so heart-warming. Love all of you!

FourJedis said...

Ditto what Liz said. No doubt you will do an amazing job meeting all of their needs. Love seeing the pictures of the girls together. So heartwarming.

Sheila said...

I think Little Miss favors Ginger in her eyes, Paprika in her nose and she has her own little rosebud lips. Pure pink perfection and I love the eye contact she has in all of the pictures. You are doing a great job. Juggling, balancing and nurturing are your forte. Merry Christmas sweet Mama.

Mimi said...

Love that second photo, it's hectic, full of love!
you're doing a great job to juggle all their needs;can't believe you managed an outiong to Botanical Gardens too!
Hope you all had a brilliant Christmas.