Saturday, April 22, 2006

23 Weeks!

I've been feeling a few more kicks now. I talked to the doctor about the lack of movement- and he had a good explanation for it. He said that I won't feel much movement compared to other women because of the location of the placenta. In my case, it's in the very front- across my stomach, so that when she kicks she actually has to kick hard enough for me to feel it through the entire placenta. That put my mind at ease- but I do like feeling her kick. It's reassuring. So, I've been on the look-out for it more, and am so happy when I do feel her little flutters.

I've been in "study-mode" trying to get ready for finals, which start in about a week. Mr. Mustard's last day of work was yesterday, so we did celebrate a bit last night by having dinner together and watching "The Hot Chick" on dvd. After that, it was back to studying for me. Today my plan is to spend the whole day studying, and then tonight we have plans we made awhile ago to go to a Dodger's game with our friends Dana and Gene. Mr. Mustard's never been to a professional baseball game, so that will be fun. I do feel guilty about not studying tonight, though. I keep telling myself to power through these last few weeks and then I can relax.

Today marks my 23rd week of pregnancy. The doctor said at my last appointment that she weighs about 1.5 pounds. It's neat to think that if she were born now, she would have a good chance at life. Of course, I want her to go full-term, but it's nice knowing that she's becoming a real person in there. I have an online group I check for pregnancy info and stuff like that. Here's what they have to say about the 23rd week of pregnancy:

Your baby is now about 8.4 inches from crown to rump (21cm) and weighs about 1.2 pounds (530g).

Your baby's face and body now look more like a full-term baby. She now looks close to how she will look at birth.

The eyes, though they are still closed, are now close together on the front of the face and the ears are in their final position. Eyelashes are fairly well-developed and hair is growing on your baby's head.

Your baby's movements are becoming more restricted now as she fills up the uterus more. Cartwheels and somersaults inside the amniotic sac are no longer possible, but she can still hold the umbilical cord and touch and feel around her. Though your baby is already living in tight quarters in the amniotic sac, she will soon have even less room to move around.
Her vital organs are now quite mature. However, since the lungs are not yet fully formed, your baby would have breathing problems if born prematurely at this stage.
Your baby is becoming increasingly conscious of the world outside and may feel startled when you are startled.

Your baby may alternate between having very active and very calm periods.

Your baby may have facial expressions such as frowning, squinting and pursing of the lips.

No comments: