Monday, March 31, 2008

The Tin Man


The past few times we've gone to the park, Paprika has run over to the War Memorial to spend some time with the statue of the soldier. She thinks he's a real person, just like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. He has a tear on his face, and everytime Paprika sees that, she says to me, "So sad! So sad!" and tries to wipe the tear off his face. She hugs and kisses him over and over again to try to make him feel better. She would stand there all day comforting him if I would let her.


Usually after about twenty minutes, I tell her it's time to go, and then she gets really upset, so I let her stay a few more minutes. She never wants to leave. She is truly concerned for him, and wants so desperately to make him feel better, even though she never can. Paprika's humanity and compassion is so beautiful. She teaches me how to grow and become a better person each day I'm with her. I'm so grateful to be her mom.

No comments: